What Should You Know About Dentistry
There is no doubt that if you want to enjoy a happy life, you should first concentrate on your health. A good health simply leads you towards a healthy life. However, there are various issues related to oral health that you need to concentrate on, but the most significant one is oral health. Whether it is about loosening teeth, tooth decay, or bleeding, you always need to be conscious about the same. Now, the question arises here how to get rid of this? This is the point where you need to know about oral health, dentist and dentistry.
What Is Dentistry
Dentistry is a kind of medicine branch. It involves in the study, research, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of dental diseases, oral cavity and other oral health disorders. In other words, dental medicine or dentistry is not limited to gums and teeth only, but it also covers various other aspects such as temperomandibular, craniofacial complex and various others.
Dentistry is certainly very important for oral health. Dental or oral treatment should be carried out by a professional dentist. There are various professionals who may participate in performing a dental surgery or other treatment such as dentist, dental assistants, dental technicians, dental hygienists, and yes dental therapists. There are basically two options available to go with i.e. primary care and secondary care. Dentists who concentrate on private practice come into first category while second category includes doctors or dentists, working in a dental hospital.
History of Dentistry
History of dentistry is certainly very ancient. It is found that dentistry is as old as human civilization. Evidences show that dentistry was in vogue dating back 7000 BC. Having observed the remains from early civilization i.e. Indus valley, it is found that this branch of medicine was always in use even in ancient time. Evidences of human teeth drilling have been found that show that dentistry was in use around 9,000 years ago. It is observed that the dental surgery was certainly the first specialization in the history of medicine.
Various Branches of Dentistry
It is seen that many dentists take further training or specialization after their medical degree in dentistry. There are several branches of dentistry that should be treated separately. Let’s have a quick look at some of the most sought after branches of modern dentistry.
- Endodontics or also known as root canal therapy – It is devoted to the study of dental pulp as well as periapical tissues.
- Geriatiric Dentistry
- Forensic Odontology
- Maxillofacial and oral pathology
- Maxillofacial and oral surgery
- Maxillofacial and oral radiology
- Oral Implantology – It is the science and art of replacing extracted human teeth with artificial dental implants.
- Orthodontics or Dentofacial orthopedics
- Oral medicine
- Pediatric dentistry – It is also known as pedodontics. It is for little children.
- Special needs dentistry
- Prosthodontics or also known as prosthetic dentistry
- Veterinary dentistry
Advancement in Dentistry
There is great advancement witnessed in the field of dentistry. So, let’s check out these advancements in dentistry.
- VELscope – It is a kind of special light that a professional dentist may shine in a patient’s mouth to find out any abnormalities or issues. It is certainly a great option when it comes to detecting early mouth cancer or oral cancer.
- Digital X-Rays – Here, one point should be noted that digital x-rays are swifter and offers less radiation than usual x-rays. With the help of this innovative method, dentists can easily detect oral health issues in a patient.
- Invisalign – These are practical invisible, clear braces that may gently straighten human teeth. This dentistry method is used to correct the smile.
- Laser Dentistry – Laser technique is used to eliminate discomfort and improve efficiency in various procedures such as eliminating tooth sensitivity, filling cavities, whitening and removing tumors.
- Dental Implants – These are simply screw-replacements especially design for the root portion or area of missing human teeth. Implants are done to improve smile.
- HealOzone – It is an easy, fast and painless option to reduce tooth decay.
- Diagnodent – It is an innovative device or option to detect cavities, which are in such places that can’t be detected through x-rays.
- Intraoral Camera – It is a tool or device, which is used to find out well-defined and precise images of hard-see areas in a mouth.